November 19: Lakewood, Colorado, to Green River, Utah

Today was the first day of the roadtrip where weather played a major role. The forecast for the Rockies west of Denver was for snow from today (Sunday) through Tuesday with accumulations of 1-4 feet. What route to take? I have tried to stay off the interstate system, but after checking road conditions, road webcams, and more forecast information, I decided that going by US route 40 might be difficult. It wanders through northern Colorado for at least 250 miles. So I decided to take the I-70 directly west from Lakewood.

As I reached Dillon, a little before the pass to Vail (10,66 feet), it began to snow. On the road up to the pass I was stuck behind three snowplows and the wet snow was sticking to my windshield. For the first time, I needed the wiper fluid to help clean the mud and melting snow. But it didn't work. When I got to the ski village of Vail I stopped at a gas station to buy some more fluid but discovered that there was plenty in the tank under the hood. The squirting mechanism wasn't working. Ugh. Back on the road. Very soon the sun came out and the snow on the mountains was spectacular! One problem with traveling the interstate, however, is that it isn't so easy to stop and take photos. No driveways to pull into and park, let the traffic pass as you snap a few photos. So I didn't get many.

I continued westward until I reached Grand Junction, Colorado, not too far from the boarder with Utah. I had thought I would stop there for the day. I went into the Barnes & Noble with my laptop, checked the distance remaining to Salt Lake City, and also checked the weather again. What I learned made it seem prudent to push on further today while the weather was still reasonably good, so I re-targeted my stopping place to Green River, Utah. That meant another 100 miles of driving.

The scenery was sometimes visible and beautiful, sometimes hidden in heavy dark rain and snow clouds. I passed through two rather strong and vicious storms with heavy, heavy rain, sleet, and wind gusts that were so strong I needed to hold the steering wheel tightly and continually make adjustments to counter the wind. Quite a few big trailer trucks had pulled over and stopped along the highway as the crosswinds were evidently too strong for them to feel safe.


My fuel indicator light came on. Oooops.  I had not realized that there were no gas stations out here in this deserted part of eastern Utah. A road sign noted that it was 25 miles to Green River.  Hmmmm. How much warning was that indicator giving me? Will I run out of gas before I can get there?  To conserve, I slowed down to 55 (the speed limit is 75) for a while. Then a WalMart truck barrelled past me. I decided to speed up and stay right behind him hoping that I could ride his draft, much as cyclists do in their races. It seemed like that orange indicator light was on for a long time and I kept hoping that I would make it to Green River.  I did. When I filled the tank, it took 14.9 gallons of gas. I think it holds 15.

I'm staying the night at a Super 8 motel here in Green River. This is the 3rd Super 8 that I've stayed at on this trip. All have been quite comfortable, clean, with free wifi, 24 hours of coffee in the lobby, and cost only $60-$65.

2 comments:

  1. When Kate reads today's journal she will be happily in Salt Lake City, pleased that she missed the ride to Green River. I'm a bit surprised you didn't have a camera rigged up to shoot pictures automatically as you drove through the mountains after Vail, you seem to have thought of everything else. Even a chamber concert, bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're having a good adventure (and not running out of gas..... that was a close one). Hope you are safely in Salt Lake City by now. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete