November 10: Chichester, New Hampshire, to Elmira, New York

What a beautiful fall day. The air was dry and the sky a clear blue. What a gorgeous day to drive over the Green Mountains from Brattleboro to Bennington VT. I'm sure I could see 100 miles from Hogback Mountain. I have done the trip from Chichester NH to Elmira NY perhaps a dozen times. Today was the nicest I can remember. I took time to visit the Battle of Bennington Memorial, a Washington-Monument like obelisk that I had passed by without stopping or seeing so many times before.
Interstate 88 along the upper reaches of the Susquehanna River valley was just fantastic. In many places the road is high above the valley with views down and across the river to many dairy farms.

The Royal Diner in Brattleboro. The first of many diners where I hope to eat during this trip.

Battle of Bennington Memorial


One of hundreds of dairy farms along I-88.



Tumble Inn, the summer camp building where I spent much of the summer of 1956.

The main building and dining hall of Camp Susquehannock.
When I reached Binghamton, NY, I decided to take a small detour. South about 15 miles and just over the border into Pennsylvania is Tripp Lake where Camp Susquehannock sits. I spent a summer month at that camp after 7th, 8th, and 9th grades. Let's see, that would have been 1956, 1957, 1958. I decided to see if it was still there. The Garmin GPS gave me directions and within 25 minutes I drove up the driveway into the camp. I couldn't believe it. It was 95% exactly the same. The camp buildings, the baseball fields, the tennis courts, even the outhouses were the same. No one was there of course so I walked around for a few minutes and took a few photos to send to old friends who had gone to the same camp with me those summers so many years ago.

From there I continued west to Elmira, arriving here at about 7:00pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment