November 11: Elmira, New York, to Chagrin Falls, Ohio

I got a late start today.  For most of the morning I drove along New York route 417. The road went along a small river valley with many dairy farms. Along the way were small towns that seemed to be movie sets -- Addison, Jasper, Greenwood, Wellsville.... Each town had a main street with houses set back with large front yards, sidewalks, large old trees. Each house had a large front porch. At the main cross streets sit banks and libraries with a fire station nearby with a fire truck in the driveway as if it were on display. At Portville there is a drive in theater with 2 movie screens. It was closed for the season today but it clearly functions during the warm season. These towns seem frozen in the 1940s.  A wonderful route to drive.



I stopped briefly at Chautauqua Institute on the lake there.

My first sight of Lake Erie was surprising. It was down below. I had always had the image of the Great Lakes surrounded by the flattest land on earth. To find that I had to descend from a mountain ridge down to the lake at Westfield, NY, broke that image. The area around Westfield consists of many vineyards. I passed two Welch's factories where I presume they make grape juice.





I arrived at the home of my old friend Dave York in Chagrin Falls about 5:30. Dave has been battling pneumonia for the past few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. This is fun, Doug. I like the diners. Chagrin Falls sounds like a novel in progress; hope your friend feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to read your blog Doug. I am doing about the same as when you were here; i.e. I am still alive! Have a great, and safe, trip. Dave

    ReplyDelete