November 12: Chagrin Falls, Ohio, to Indianapolis, Indiana

Another late start. Had some mist and rain between Cleveland and Columbus. At Columbus the sky cleared and I left the Interstate system for old US Route 40, the so-called National Road. This road was the first national highway, funded by Congress in 1806 to open up the land west of the Appalachians. There is an interstate highway that parallels this old road and takes all of the truck traffic. As a result this was a fun road to travel. Wide and well paved, yet with little traffic. The old towns that had grown up right on Route 40 have survived the displacement of thru traffic - with the exception of motels and gas stations. Quite a few of those have been turned to other uses or simply been abandoned. At one point today the dashboard light indicating I needed gas came on. I had to drive nearly 20 miles before I found a gas station on Route 40. But I could see many off in the distance near the exits to the interstate nearby.



I had thought I might stop to see the large museum of airplanes at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base outside of Dayton, Ohio. My roadtrip guide book said it housed 300 planes of all sorts. My friend in Chagrin Falls told me that it was a great place and I could easily spend a whole day there. That made me decide to pass up a visit because I couldn't afford the time. I decided to put on more miles today and ended up on the west side of Indianapolis about 4:30.



While it is dark in New Hampshire by 5:00 at this time of year, here in Indianapolis the sun was still up and it didn't really get dark until 6:00. I cross into the Central Time Zone tomorrow and will gain an hour but it also means that darkness will come by 5:00 much as it does in New Hampshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment